Sunday, September 5, 2010

WAYLON'S STAR

This last week I met one of the kindest sweetest people I have ever known, and she gave me one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received. A star. Not just any star, but one that is now named after my son. Every night since Waylon left us I have looked up at the stary sky and thought of him looking down on us. I haven't yet found his star in the sky, but I intend to locate it soon. I was thinking I would go up to the university and see if someone there will help me locate it.


Babette and Dan, thank you so much!! This gift means more to me than I can ever express. I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful family, so willing to help and try so hard to make me feel better. Just seeing Waylon's name written in the stars, so to speak, makes me just melt. I wrote a poem shortly after we set Waylon's spirit free and I think it goes perfectly with this post. Here it is......

UPON A STAR

Tonight I wish upon a star,
That you were near and not so far.
Then before I knew,
My wish came true.

Your spirit stayed with me all night,
You calmed my fears and held me tight.
In my dreams I saw your face,
You were running and jumping all over the place.

I spoke to you just like everyday,
I awaited your reply, what would you say?
Then came a simple dose of reality,
When I knew you couldn't speak back to me.

Although a dream, it was all so true,
I'd never see these days with you.
I awoke with a sense of pain and joy,
I felt ever so lucky to have seen my little boy.

If even for a minute and only in a dream,
I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Your spirit saw the pain in my eyes,
You felt my love and heard my cries.

Then when you finally had to leave my side,
Always in my heart you'll still reside.
I know you'll be back to see me soon,
Until then, I'll stare up at the moon.

The stars will shine bright in the dark night sky,
As I try and just breathe.....enough to get by.
I'll think of you when I see them shine,
My baby, my boy, sweet son of mine.

- Jen Stagge
"In memory of my son, Waylon Bruce Stagge 6-21-10"

I have many more that I have written here and there over the past couple of months. Don'tworry, I will post them soon.

Babette and Dan, please know that I appreciate your love and generosity so much. I will always cherish this gift and please know that we love you both very much. XOXO

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed meeting Babette so much. I agree, Waylon having a star named after him is such a wonderful gift. Somehow it's comforting. I love the poem. It made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great writer you are Jen, its beautiful

    ReplyDelete