Wednesday, June 8, 2011

2011 RUNNING WITH ANGELS 5K

I am a little behind on getting this post done, but on May 21, 2011 Chris and I drove down to Thanksgiving Point for the Running With Angels 5K Run/Walk. I was seriously debating on whether I should attempt to do it being so far along, but I am so glad we did. It was such a fun morning. I thought it was quite fitting that we be walking for Waylon that day, it was the day he would have been 11 months old. I can't believe it's almost been a year since we said goodbye.





The race started at 8 am, and before they announced that we could start a bunch of white doves were released. It was so neat!!


Can you see them?


This race is put on every year by a woman named Pam Hansen. She is such an inspirational person. Her book, Running With Angels, talks about her struggle with obesity after the loss of a twin daughter and a stillborn son. She also had two other daughters who had debilitating autoimmune diseases. She has been through so much. In the book, she described how her addiction to food was life consuming, until she finally got to a point where she slowly started walking and then running and went on to lose 100 lbs and compete in a several marathons. I thought it was an amazing book!!

book cover
You can go HERE for more information on the race and this book.


When we started the walk I felt like I was going to be so slow and take forever getting to the finish line, but to my surprise.....I did so well. I was actually passing people and had a sense of motivation to do my absolute best for Waylon. I just know he was with us the whole way, encouraging us to keep walking.


We wore our honorary bibs with Waylon's name on them.


There were almost 900 people there walking and running!!


The course was all through the Thanksgiving Point Gardens, it was absolutely gorgeous!!



We crossed the finish line at 50 minutes. Not too bad for being 8 months pregnant I must say. After we cooled down, they started the prize giveaways. I actually won something. I never win. They called my number to come up and get my prize, a $25 Target giftcard, and I met Pam. They announced my finish of the race and acknowledged that I was there walking for and with Waylon. It was so neat!! I was honored to meet such an inspirational person. It was a great day!! 



I know we will definitely be back for the race next year and probably every year after that. Maybe we can run it in 2012 with Madison in the stroller. I'm sure she will want to honor her big brother too.

We miss you so much Waylon. We think of you every day. I hope you are proud of us and know that we are doing everything we can to honor you and keep your memory alive. Thank you for helping me get through this race, we love you sooooooooo much!! XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I lost my son Waylon, after having him here on earth with us for almost 20 years. He was 19 when he was tragically killed in a car accident. He was born June 21, 1990. We hold a race for him now. A 5 K. In Aug we had the 2 nd Annual Waylon Martensen 5K. I have a blog site also. In his memory. Waylon's Book Endure the Race 1990-2010.

    ReplyDelete